Thursday, August 5, 2010

Round 1 of my Utah Trip, Jones Hole

I try to take advantage of our Trips up to Utah to visit family to try to get in some fishing.  This week I was in Roosevelt so I wanted to take a trip up to two of my favorite places, and also hit one of the spots that I just cannot figure out.
Jones hole is up on Diamond Mountain near the green river.  There is a fish hatchery up there but the fish are all mostly wild trout from the river.  The stream is feed from underground streams and holds some very large trout.   I have never done very well up there, and I usually get frustrated because I hear of some big fish coming out of there (I have even seen a few pictures).   But yet it is one of those places that I just cannot figure out.   I have been up there numerous times and I love to be in the canyon, and I love hiking the stream.   And one of these days I am going to figure out those big browns and Rainbows.   We did catch a few.  My biggest was about 12".   I did hook a nice Rainbow (I think around 16"), but as soon as I hooked him he took off up stream and ran right under a overhanging tree.  Yes, be broke me off and I was ticked because he probably would have been the biggest fish that I have ever landed there.
On our way out, we got lucky enough to see some of the big bucks that makes Diamond Mountain a great trophy special entry deer hunt.

No comments: