Thursday, August 5, 2010

Round 2, West Fork of the White Rocks River

This river is probably one of the best fishing streams that I have ever fished.  There is a slight hike involved, but if you want to catch a lot of wild Brook and Cut throat trout, this is the place.   The average size of the fish here is 8-10", which is a lot larger than most averages in these high Uintah Mountain streams.  And you have a chance to catch some really nice fish (see earlier posts).
This trip, my father in law and I decided we wanted to hike in around some large boulder fields that have blocked our fishing further down the river.  So we had a pretty good hike on our hands today, but it was great to be up in the mountains, and the fishing was amazing as always.  I also got to introduce my puppy to the place where I grew up.  He loved it and was a great fishing companion.   Hopefully this was the first of many trips with him.


This was the view from the hike in.
My fishing buddies
I love this river.  Just wish it had a bit more access, but that helps to keep it pristine like it is.
The fish in this river are very vibrantly colored.  The pictures do not do them justice.
All CutThroat and Brook Trout.
Hudson actually did really well on the hike.  This is the first time he has been out of Arizona, but I think he likes the cool Utah weather.  It took him a while to get the hang of jumping over all the down timber and he did not like to cross the stream.  But he did very good climbing up and down the steep slopes and really enjoyed being up in the mountains.
Hudson was also very interested in the fish.  He would stand right by us and wait till we would catch a fish, then he would stay right by us and we un-hooked and release them.   He would even watch us cast back and forth like he was looking for the fish to come out of the water.  (Yes, the fish literally come out of the water almost as fast as you can cast. 
This was the big fish of the trip.  I was not holding him very well, but he was about a 14" Cut, very nice fish.  
The first pool that I casted into, I did not get a single look at my fly. So I was wondering what was going on as my Father in Law landed 3 before I even got my fly in the water.  So I was stripping in my line for another cast and WHAM!.  The fish just started attacking my fly.  I landed at least 6 out of that little hole, and I probably could have landed more, but I started feeling sorry for them.  I would just drag my fly across the water and the fish would hit it.  The rest of the river was not like this,  only this hole.  But it sure was a fun way to start of a great day of fishing.




2 comments:

Us Egberts said...

Beautiful pictures....the little fish (brooks?) made mw want to have my mom cook a fish dinner:)....I loved going in these kinds of areas with my mom and dad....Hudson looks right at home...what a good buddy!

Conner said...

Hudson did great, I was a little worried how he would handle the hike, but he really is a mountain dog. We thought about cooking a few right there by the river, but we did not.